Many of BRYC’s program offerings are designed to achieve goals relevant to the Fellows year in high school. Below is an overview of BRYC programs by grade level:
10th Grade – Leadership
- LSU’s Honors College FOCUS Program introduces rising sophomores to BRYC and their peers in a fun and exciting two-week program.
- BRYC’s Leadership Team involves Fellows in high-level discussions about such topics as identity, race, class, and gender.
- Sophomore Fellows experience the joys of giving back to their community by participating in a weekly service-learning project. Fellows work together to design projects in areas including mentoring, community gardening, literacy, advocacy, and elderly care.
11th Grade – College Prep
12 Grade – 1-On-1 Mentorship
- Senior Fellows work 1-on-1 with college mentors, tackling everything from college identification, personal statement preparation, and handling paperwork.
- BRYC coaches students and families through scholarship and financial information to help Fellows research scholarships and file the FAFSA and CSS Profile correctly and on time.
- Fall Retreat – During September, Fellows are invited to camp on a bonding retreat complete with ropes courses, trust falls, and canoeing. This serves as an excellent opportunity for Fellows to try new challenges and become closer to their peers.
- Poetry Slam – BRYC Fellows regularly complete in Baton Rouge’s annual All City Teen Slam Poetry Festival, expressing themselves through spoken word and increasing their confidence through live performances.
BRYC also offers programs nonspecific to grade level.
Of course, this is only a taste of what BRYC has to offer. In addition to these programs, BRYC works individually with each Fellow to find opportunities to explore unique interests and achieve personal goals.